Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My computer is not doing good right now I have a female beligum

Customer Question

My computer is not doing good right now I have a female beligum malinois 3 yrs old Her eye symptoms are: she has black tissue along the bottom and outer sides of her eyes. In the bottom of the blk tissue in both eyes there is a pink circle. It does not appear that it hurts Nutter Butter. She does not have pain, itching or any other symptoms that tells me she is uncomfortable. She is being treated for an eye infection by my Vet for months with Ophthalmic Ointment applied 3 to 4 times a day. If I miss a treatment the blk tissue seams to try to spread on to the colored part of both eyes. The oinment does not work PROBLEM 2#: Both of my Malinois have ear problems for a very long time(at least a year. Both dogs have tiny flat round blk circles in there ears. And always found around the circles are a real tiny long brown somethings that appears to have 2 antlers on one end. I think they might be babies. My Vet does not know what either bug is. After they go potty I bring them in and they will sit and scratch there ears. All I can do is try to flush them out with a turkey baster and a Q-Tip I only flush 2 times. But they hide in the part way down in there ears where you never ever should go. PROBLEM 3#: Butter is a wild child and loves life and with her jumping and playing her back is out of place. Butter is bonded to only me and does not allow any one else touch her or me and her best buddy Bandit. Any suggestions? PROBLEM 4#: Bandit has cateracts in both eyes. My Vet told me they usually only fix one eye. He is 3 yrs old. Now what? Bandit is a pound puppy. Only 1/2 Malinois. Bandit also has a rectum problem. The sack does not work properly. So it needs to be drained every 2 weeks. He stinks to hi heaven. He spends his day trying to empty the sack. I have little round circles all over my carpet both up and down stairs. My Vet taught me to drain it myself but it takes 2 people to do it and I have no family or friends to help. My Vet is not very smart and both the Vets there are not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I am 73 yrs. old and there all I have. I cry every day trying to find answers. As I write I cannot hold back my tears. As of now without my dogs I have no reason to get out of bed. As of right I have no one to turn to for help. Money is also a issue too. I am a retaired Peace Officer/Fire Chief. That's how I know about how special these dogs are. There intelagence and durability and there loyalty stands out way above any other breed. PLEASE, at this moment I am begging you to help my dogs. And help me to do all I can for them. Thank You for listening, Respectfully, ***** ***** Jordan(retaired)
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian. I read through your concerns about Nutter Butter and I wanted to help. I know you mentioned 2 dogs in this post but I am unfortunately only allowed to address 1 dog per post so I will proceed to discuss about Nutter Butter since she was the one I gathered had the most concerns at this time if that is ok with you. I will more than happy to address Bandit's issues if another post is created to abide by the site rules. To help keep things in order I will address each problem one at a time to make sure you don't have any questions about each disorder and we can hopefully stay on track this way, but don't worry I will address each problem in full and to your satisfaction before moving on to the next. Ok so lets get started. Problem #1- The eye issue sounds like a suspected condition called "Pannus". This is where there is black pigmentation changes that occur on the surface of the eyes and inflammatory changes that can lead to severe vision impairment over the time. This condition is an immune mediated disorder, which means that the body is attacking its own healthy tissue. This condition is typically worse in high altitude places. For treatment of this condition I generally recommend topical eye drops that contain a steroid. Optimmune eye drops + Neo/Poly/Dex drops given twice daily work very well to control this condition in my professional opinion. This is a chronic condition that cannot be cured and we must keep that in mind. It can be controlled and the goal is to get the patient to go into a latent period, but flare-ups can be treated more aggressively when they arise, by giving the drops more frequently. What is the name of the drops that were prescribed for Nutter Butter? - Dr. H