Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My young pug (also named Pearl) had vomited all over her crate

Customer Question

My young pug (also named Pearl) had vomited all over her crate this morning and then went outside and had runny, bloody diarrhea. I'm going to take her to the vet but I'm so worried. She does throw up somewhat frequently but is very hyper eats very quickly and has always been very slim
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did Pearl eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I know of but she does constantly chew on succulents in our back yard but this has never happened. The vomiting does happen with some frequency. but this was different
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pearl?
Customer: She is around 1. She is a rescue from Korea. She has tested positive for giardia in the past but was treated. She is a sweet, loving and crazy dog and we love her and want her to be well soon!!
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
I"m sorry to hear of this with Pearl. There are quite a few differential diagnoses for vomiting and diarrhea with hematochezia (blood in the stool) but one of the most worrisome in small dogs is a condition called hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. This is an umbrella term that refers to a hemorrhagic enteritis or colitis assoicated with gastrointestinal parasites such as Giardia, viral infections such as parvovirus, coronavirus and circovirus, and bacterial infections with Clostridium difficile, Clostridium perfringens, Campylobacter, and Salmonella. Whatever the cause, these small dogs dehydrate and become electrolyte imbalanced quickly and so time is of the essence in having Pearl attended to by her vet. In general, intravenous fluid therapy is initiated promptly and additional therapy is tailored to the findings in diagnostics which will involve blood, urine, and fecal tests.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.