Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My dog reason will not let us pet his sides. He yelps/cries.

Customer Question

My dog for some reason will not let us pet his sides. He yelps/cries. It just started yesterday, he looks sad, He's not being his usual self.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 months ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about Danger's discomfort. I he still eating well? Is he able to walk pretty normally? Is he urinating and defecating normally?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He didn't eat as much yesterday as he usually does. He seemed scared to, like if the thought we were going to try and pick him up while he was eating. He is able to walk normally. He is urinating normally, he usually defecates twice a day but yesterday he didn't but this morning he did.
Thank you for answering those questions. That is good that he's able to walk normally. It is also good that he's urinating ok and defecated ok yesterday. He may not have gone today as he's not eating as much to pass as much stools. The pain that he's having, could it be from back issues? That is something that is pretty common with what you're seeing. Could it be from some soft tissue injury - something falling / hitting him in that region? Could it be from some infection in the disc spaces of his back? Could it be from a hip issue? These are considerations that have to be brought up. As far as what would be the best thing to do for him? I would really like to have you get him to your vet so they can evaluate him and then treat him with most likely pain medications to help him be more comfortable. This may be something that pain meds and time are all that is needed. Could the find something that needs more care? That is a possibility too.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm not sure what could have caused it, he was fine on Saturday but then last night he started this. We're going to try and get him to see the Vet today.
Most of the time, there is no specific cause that is identified as outward trauma. I would be most suspicious of a disc issue - an IVDD. Here is a link on it. http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=3215That is going to be the best getting him to your vet. They can use a physical exam and possibly x-rays to screen for what the cause is. I'm hoping that time, pain management, and rest are the course of therapy that gets this little guy feeling better!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Danger. How is everything going?