Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

I have a 16 year old Yorkshire Terrier/Sydney Silkie cross

Customer Question

I have a 16 year old Yorkshire Terrier/Sydney Silkie cross dog who has recently been tested and has very high enzyme liver levels. He is now due for his Parainfluenza vacination and I am wondering if it is necessary for him to have this. He is not in contact with other dogs.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. If your lad is not in contact with other dogs and doesn't go to places (ie dog parks, kennels, groomers, etc) where other dogs could leave this virus in the environment, then you wouldn't necessarily have to vaccinated for Parainfluenza.As well, since he is 16 years old and may have a long history of vaccination, then he may actually already have good residual immunity to this virus (and potentially the others that we vaccinate for). If you wanted to confirm this and ensure he is protected, you can speak to his vet about antibody testing. This is usually done by blood sample and can tell us how robust their immunity is to those agents we vaccinate against and allow us to make an educated decision about what vaccinations we give him. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )