Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My senior male chihuahua has a perianal tumor on the very side

Customer Question

My senior male chihuahua has a perianal tumor on the very side of his butt. I don't want to spend 1,900.00 on a removal surgery or castration. . So is there anything I can do to reduce the testosterone in my unfixed male or reduce his blood calcium, so that I do not have to pay for this expensive surgery. ?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What confuses you?
Customer: Is it neccessary to have the surgery If it is not affecting his anal glands or ability to poop. . ?
JA: Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What confuses you?
Customer: Is there any options to reduce his testosterone levels or blood calcium "naturally?"
JA: What is the chihuahua's name?
Customer: Mr. Wiggles. He is about 25 yrs old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mr. Wiggles?
Customer: No.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Yes, there are option to discuss with Mr. Wiggles's vet. Testosterone levels can be reduced with oral contraceptives (birth control pills) containing eithinylestrodiol and an antiandrogenic progesterone, the diuretic spiranolactone, the glucocorticosteroid prednisone, and 5-alpha redctase inhibitors such as zinc and finasteride. Serum calcium levels can be reduced with the diuretic furosemide and the glucocorticosteroid prednisone. It's not clear to be what "naturally" implies. Please clarify.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?