Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 2 year old german shorthaired pointer who has a hurt

Customer Question

i have a 2 year old german shorthaired pointer who has a hurt foot. it was fine at 7pm but now he can barely walk. right front
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no wound
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name?
Customer: definitely a sprain or something of this nature. it is a little swollen
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: no. he is super athletic. probably landed on it wrong when catching a frisbee... but he wasn't limping on the field ...
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He hasn't eaten much today and I couldn't get him to eat (not even real salmon or chicken), so i figure he is in considerablei gave him 3 Malox (or whatever it is called today) coated, buffered baby aspirin, and he has passed out. question os this: i found some old Rimadyl from his predecessor. expiration 2/26/15. what happens to old rimadyl and aside from standard side effects, is the age of the medication likely to harm him?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like tohelp you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before.Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read aboutyour situation, and wanted to help. Based on your history, I agree that it sounds like a sprain that is now appreciable as his adrenaline has worn off. Though most importantly I need to warn you that if you have given Aspirin, you cannot give the Rimadyl. They are both non-steroidal anti-inflammatories that share a common pathway. Using both could cause increased risk of stomach upset and stomach ulcers --especially on an empty stomach. So, you would need to stop all Aspirin and given him 24 hours before starting the Rimadyl (which is likely fine and only may be a bit less effective if aged) to avoid any issue. Furthermore, do keep up on the antacids to protect his stomach and try a light diet (ie rice with boiled chicken, white fish, or cottage cheese if he isn't keen to eat for you). Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any otherquestions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I wouldbe grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate myExpert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited forhelping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.All the best,Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet