Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Just wanted to update you on my dog Katie. Took her to the

Customer Question

Just wanted to update you on my dog Katie. Took her to the Emergency Vet Clinic today and they diagnosed her with laryngeal paralysis. Deb
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 8 months ago.
Hi Deb. Wow did not see that one coming. Typically with laryngeal paralysis there are harsh lungs sounds on inspiration which is typically heard during the physical examination. However as the disease progresses we will often hear harsh lung sounds on inspiration and expiration due to the affected lung fields. Typically this will cause aspiration pneumonia +/- pulmonary edema. Although it took a while for the vet to put things together I am sure glad they did. This diagnosis is typically suspected based on how the dog presents and then confirmed with a light sedative given and visualization of the laryngeal folds through the mouth area. Thank you for updating on Katie's status. This typically requires surgical correction (Tie back procedure), which I am sure they have already informed you about. I hope that she will get the surgery she needs and can manage this disease process. It is a tough disease to manage and takes a lot of dedication from the owner to care for dogs with this condition. I wish you and her the best moving forward.Best regards, ***** *****