Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

Our 6 yr old 75#golden retriever chewed and ate contents of

Customer Question

Our 6 yr old 75#golden retriever chewed and ate contents of a Raid Ant Bait . What to look for and should we be worried?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question. I am working on an answer for you now, please give me a minute, there can be a slight delay while I type. Once I have sent you and answer you can ask any follow up questions. Once your follow up questions are answered you will need to rate my service.
I assume you are referring to one of the little plastic ant bait traps, correct? The amount of toxin in these traps is very small. Even if your dog ate several traps there would not be any risk of toxicity. The largest risk that these bait traps pose to dogs is the risk of the plastic trap causing a blockage in the bowel.So, if he at the trap itself I would watch for vomtiing or abdominal pain as that can be a sign of a blockage. But as to the bait itself, I wouldn't expect a problem. Let me know if it was something other than the bait in the plastic container and if you have any other questions. If all your questions have been answered, please rate my answer.