Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog is 4 years old. She is not eating and her last was

Customer Question

My dog is 4 years old. She is not eating and her last BM was good until the end when it became quite loose. She is a Yorkshire Terrier mix with some ***** *****. Should I be concerned? Symptoms have
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 months ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How long does she have without eating? 2- Is she lethargic? 3- Any vomiting? 4- Any pre existing medical conditions? 5- Did she get into anything? 6- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The eating is just today. She's been sleeping all day, though she shows some activity when I've taken her outside. No vomiting, no pre existing condions. To my knowledge she hasn't gotten into anything.
When I leave her I crate her. And no other symptoms at this time.
1- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale? 2- Can you take her rectal temperature?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She seems to be perking up. I just took her and she voided fine which is normal for her. She's also begun to eat. If she's no better tomorrow I'll take her to my vet. Thanks for your help. By the way, her gums are nice pink and she's definitely perking up.
I am happy to learn she is doing better. In response to your question diarrhea can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do:1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. You see, stopping the diarrhea with medication can make things worst if this is related to an infection or ingestion of a foreign body. 2- Change her diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet. 3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store. 4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have her checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.
Hi Terri,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter