Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Barkley is an 18 month old cocker spaniel. He vomited last

Customer Question

Barkley is an 18 month old cocker spaniel. He vomited last night and has extremely runny squirts today. Weighs 25 pounds. Indoor dog. Don't know what he might have been into
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cocker spaniel eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not really. Small pieces of pork yesterday in Chinese food take out.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cocker spaniel's name?
Customer: Barkley
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Barkley?
Customer: He has just wanted to be in my lap today unless he has to run outside to eliminate
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Is he lethargic? 2- How much does he weigh? 3- Did he eat any bones?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is lethargic. He weights 25 pounds and he didn't eat bones.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
red and healthy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there something I can give him to stop the diarrhea? He lives inside.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, as you may already know it is common with dietary indiscretion for a dog to develop vomiting or diarrhea. I would not give an anti diarrhea medication like imodium. In addition, it is not good to give pepto bismol if the patient is vomiting. Instead this is what you can try: 1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. 3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet. 4- If he continues to vomit or having diarrhea after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter