Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Our dog is seventeen, toy poodle, has suffered from pancreatitis

Customer Question

our dog is seventeen, toy poodle, has suffered from pancreatitis in the past, we think she is blind from one eye and not seeing to well from the other also cannot hear. For the last 3 days she has not eaten, drank very little water, she sleeps most of the day and when she gets up has a difficult time walking. We don't know if it is because she is weak and/or she needs her nails cut and it is slippery for her.
Everyone we talk to says it is time to put her down, we don't want her to suffer but at the same time we don't know if this is her pancreas acting up again or if she really is ready to go.
We have a problem financially, she had a plan with Banfield but we stopped it because of lack of money....we are retired on social sec so we have limited funds.
Do you have any suggestions????
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about your poodle. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. I am worried if she has not eaten or drunk much for 3 days. She may be dehydrated. If you check her gums, are they pink in color or do the gums seem pale? If she is not vomiting, it could be pancreatitis, but usually there is vomiting with that condition. She could also have liver disease, kidney disease, cancer, infection, diabetes, intestinal disease. Try to get her to take fluids, broth or water or ice chips or Pedialyte, to keep her from being dehydrated. If she has pancreatitis, pain medication might help if you have any safe for a small dog from previous prescriptions for her. She really needs an exam: palpate lymph nodes and internal organs, take her temp, check her gums, listen to her heart and lungs with a stethscope, to try to find where the problem is. Since she is older, this illness could be her final illness, but you don't know that for sure until you get a diagnosis and that means starting with an examination. Try to keep her hydrated, take her temp if you can, and tell me if you think her gums look pink or pale. Let me know what other questions you have.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
I hope you were able to see what I wrote! Let me know how she is dong and what else I can answer.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
How is your poodle doing?