Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My female Lab. Retriever is 7 weeks old.. I noticed she drinks

Customer Question

My female Lab. Retriever is 7 weeks old.. I noticed she drinks and urinates more often that our black Lab who is also 7 weeks. I also noticed that while she sleeps, she is leaking (like peeing). It causes her butt and upper legs to be wet. The smell is sweet smelling. Please help me understand what could be wrong or if this is normal?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help Retriever. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Retriever?
Customer: She doesn't seem to be sick.. She plays and everything with the other two dogs.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that your new little female is having trouble with urinary accidents when sleeping, with a sweet smell to the urine, and increased water consumption compared to your male puppy of the same age. This is very unusual in a young, otherwise healthy, puppy, which makes me think that there may be an underlying, undiagnosed medical reason for these symptoms to continue.In a young female dog we need to think about a urinary tract infection. Females have a short urethra, and puppies have an immature immune system, both of which could lead to an infection. Bacteria can change urine odor.Congenital metabolic organ disease (abnormal kidney or liver function due to malformation) could cause these symptoms. Changes in metabolic waste products can cause urine odor changes.Congenital physical anatomical issues could also be the problem.One is a condition called an ectopic ureter. This is a congenital condition where her ureter(s) may be attached to her bladder in an abnormal position. In some cases they may even attach to the neck of the bladder or the base of the urethra. This makes control much more difficult, so they are harder to housebreak and can dribble urine when very relaxed, and with abnormal placement of the ureters bacteria can more easily gain access to her urinary tract leading to infections that recur and/or are extremely difficult to treat.The other possibility is an abnormality in the bladder wall itself, congenital urachal anomalies. These are due to the urachus (which connects the bladder to the umbilicus allowing urine to drain) not fully becoming a vestigal structure leading to an irregular bladder wall which predisposes to chronic infections.Another possibility is spinal cord abnormalities (like spina bifida) that don't allow the bladder to empty normally or the urethra to be as effective at keeping out bacteria as it should. Both predispose to chronic infections.She should have an examination and her urine should be evaluated and cultured from a sample collected in a sterile manner (cystocentesis) both initially and after a course of antibiotics if an infection is found. I would also want to check basic blood work, a complete blood count and biochemistry profile, to check organ function.If her bloodwork is normal, and her urine was properly cultured and any infection treated but symptoms continue then I recommend a dye study. That may allow diagnosis of congenital abnormalities, and they can be fixed surgically in most cases.If she requires surgery then make sure that the surgery is done by a board certified surgeon as these are not an easy surgeries.There are other physical developmental urinary tract abnormalities such as a smaller than usual bladder or very rare bladder structural abnormalities which can also be checked for with a dye study.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****