Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.

She ate part of a light plastic bag where hotdogs buns were.

Customer Question

she ate part of a light plastic bag where hotdogs buns were. She has been eating but vomited up part of the bag, not sure how much she may have eaten. 90 lb, female lab. vomited up water and todays food. She ate the bag about 48 hours ago and had a bowel movement no bag was seen
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Payton, 7 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Payton?
Customer: not really, other than she acts like typical labs, eating everything in sight
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.It is always concerning when a dog eats something he shouldn't. The biggest concern is that the plastic bag could cause a blockage or an obstruction. In a large dog, if they shredded or chewed the bag it should be able to pass. However, if she swallowed it pretty much intact then it could bunch up and cause a blockage. The number one symptom of a blockage is vomiting. With a complete blockage they often can't hold anything down at all, but if there is a partial blockage then they will often eat and hold some food down, but then vomit other things. What I use as a criteria to determine if this is an emergency is... if they can't hold down water, if their abdomen is painful, or if they are lethargic. The fact that she vomited water is very suggestive of a blockage. I would recommend taking her to an emergency vet today for some X-rays. Since plastic will not show up on an X-ray they may have to give her some contrast or barium to know for sure if she needs surgery.I hope that helps, but if you have additional questions let me know. If not, please don't forget to rate my answer.