Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My Puppy 5 pounds just ate a 25 mg prion tablet older

Customer Question

My
Puppy 5 pounds just ate a 25 mg prion tablet for my older dog should u be worried
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!This medication is dosed at 2 mg/kg PO twice daily. For a puppy at 5 pounds (2.3 kg) this would be 4.6 mg so a dose of 25 mg is a high dose for her size if she were to be on this medication. If your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (i.e. 1/2 teaspoon) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.If no vomiting is induced then symptoms may include vomiting, anorexia, restlessness, anxiety, irritability, urine retention, tachycardia, and hypertension so it is best to remove it from her system nowIf you are unable to do so then please consider a veterinary er where they can give stronger medications to induce vomiting and medication to reduce absorption of the medication as wellPlease let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with today If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
I am sorry I cannot help with a phone call and had already typed my response when you requested this change. The states/province I am licensed in do not allow me to communicate via phone calls, unless I have previously physically examined a pet. I could lose my license for doing so. If you would like I can opt out and see if there is another veterinarian that can make calls.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How to administer
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The hydrogen peroxide?
You can use a dropper, a turkey baster, or lastly if needed putting it in a small piece of bread
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She vommited quickly it was about 45 mins go she had the pill
OK great, did you see the pill in the vomitus?
If you did not see the pill then I would advise the veterinary er to administer activated charcoal which blocks further absorption of the medications not vomited and prevents the side effects I listed
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sea what looked like the pill. Can she continue food and water normally now she seems to be feeling good.
I would withhold both for an hour then an hour of water only in moderation In two hours you can try a small meal but her stomach should be left empty for a little bit to minimize further vomitingPlease let me know any additional questions I can assist with today
Good afternoon, I wanted to check in on you and your puppy to see how things were going since we last spoke? I would love an update when you are able... If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She seems to be fine ran around and napping now, acting like normal.
That's great news! Glad to hear there were no ill effects from the ingestion. Thank you so much for the update :)
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!