Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dog has liver cancer and he wont eat. he just stopped eating

Customer Question

my dog has liver cancer and he wont eat. he just stopped eating the other day, what can I do to get some food in him?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: badger and he is 15
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Badger?
Customer: he's been under the vets care for over a year with his condition
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Now this is not an uncommon situation for dogs with liver cancer that is affecting liver function. Often our approach needs to be focused on symptomatic care to reduce any nausea arising from the build up of liver toxins. Since he has been under care of his vet for this, we'd want to potentially speak to them about liver supports (ie milk thistle, SAM-E, etc) if we aren't using these already. As well, if he is feeling very poorly, then fluids can often help flush out the toxins to reduce the nausea and buy us time. Further to this, we can often address the nausea for them to help keep them eating. If your vet isn't open just now, an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ could be used. Alternatively, if his nausea is too severe for these or he doesn't respond, then his local vet can dispense a strong anti-nausea/vomiting medication like maropitant (Cerenia), metoclopramide (Reglan),ondansetron (Zofran). Your vet can provide this via injection or orally if need be and these should be considered if the antacids are not strong enough for him. At the same time, they can also start him on an appetite stimulation medication (ie Mertazipine ) to give him a wee push to eat for us if need be.Finally, we need to of course tempt him to eat. Favorites or light diet options (ie rice with cottage cheese, boiled chicken or scrambled egg) would all be worth trying. Otherwise, if he isn't vomiting at this stage, we can consider syringe feeding him to get nutrients in. For that, we can water down calorie rich diets (ie Hills A/D, Royal Canin Recovery diet, even canned puppy food) or use a liquid diet (ie Clinicare, Dogsure). As well, there are paste supplements (ie Nutrical) that can also be used. And these will all get more in per bite even if we cannot get much in.Overall, Badger's signs are not uncommon with this condition. Still, we'd want to consider the above to settle his stomach, possibly address his liver compromise, and make sure he keeps getting food if we can to prevent him wasting away. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )