Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.

He just started dripping blood from his penis. JA: I'm sorry

Customer Question

He just started dripping blood from his penis.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Murphy. He is a little over 1.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Murphy?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 5 months ago.
Hi, this is Dr. Gabby.So there are a few possibilities.If he is urinating more frequently then he could have a urinary tract infection. The inflammation in the lining of the urinary tract can cause bleeding.He could have also scratched the penis and now it is bleeding and the blood is dripping out the sheath. Or, if he scratched the tip then the tip could be bleeding.If he will let you push the sheath back and examine the penis for injury. You can clean any wounds with a little 3% hydrogen peroxide and apply a little Neosporin antibiotic cream.If it does not stop bleeding in an hour then he should see the ER vet.If you notice he is urinating more frequently then he probably has a urinary tract infection. In that case a vet will need to check his urine and prescribe antibiotics.Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby