Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

Dog ate part of dried starfish decoration , no idea of origin

Customer Question

JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Tasha, five years old, eaten part of starfish is soft and pliable. Concerned about poison or preservative.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tasha?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. Chances are good that the chemicals used to treat this starfish have probably already dissipated. They often bleach these fish so if there is anything remaining, this could cause chemical burns on Tasha's internal digestive tract. All you can do is to give her a couple pieces of bread that will coat her stomach along with some milk. This may cause a digestive disturbance and to prevent this, follow these instructions: Fast Tasha for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.Give her Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)If Tasha is still normal, then wean her back onto regular food. If there is any vomiting or depression, take your gal to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****