Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

My dog is getting sick as we speak, hold onJA: I'll do all

Customer Question

My dog is getting sick as we speak, hold on
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?
Customer: A few weeks ago she had a case diarrhea vomiting, I took her to the vet and the vet said that it was something going around that he had seen a lot of. He said it was from eating bad, or treated grass or going around areas where another dog had a similar problem. This morning she started again...I think she is also sneezing too but definitely has very loose diarrhea and vomited the food she had in her stomach over the night while I slept and just threw up two more time with a yellow bile color and pure liquid.
JA: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: She is lethargic I suppose...can I give her pepto?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. In most cases, this is caused by something odd that your gal may have ingested. This can also occur due to an allergic reaction. For now follow these instructions: Fast your gal for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.Give her Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. or pepeto Bismol at 1 teaspoon per 20 pounds of her weight every 8 hrs. These can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)If the vomiting has resolved, then wean your gal back onto regular food. If the vomiting persists especially during the fast, take your gal to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns such as an intestinal obstruction or allergic reaction that will require other treatments. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****