Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

She threw up. we found out that she got into a bag of candy.

Customer Question

she threw up. we found out that she got into a bag of candy. there was a mini Twix wrapper and a mini peanut butter wrapper
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: as well as some starburst and jelly beans
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lulu. She is an 11 year old Shih-Tzu Bijon mix
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lulu?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 7 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. Most likely this will cause a digestive disturbance due to the amount of sweets. There is not enough chocolate to cause Lulu any problems with this but this amount of sugar will run havoc with her system. The treatment for this is as follows: Fast Lulu for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.Give her Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)If the vomiting has resolved and Lulu is feeling better, then wean her back onto regular food. If the vomiting persists especially during the fast, take your sweet Lulu to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns such as a glucose overload or intestinal blockage. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****