Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

My puppy has been lathargic and whimpers when he exerts any

Customer Question

My puppy has been lathargic and whimpers when he exerts any energy..for example..when i feed him and when he is playing in the vomiting or diarrhea
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your puppy?
Customer: I noticed it after he ate a rawhide...he also has been diagnosed with colitis
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. It is hard to know what may be causing this odd behavior but since he appears to be in pain, there is a possibility that this rawhide has become a partial obstruction which may have to be removed. Also, if your puppy has colitis, what you are feeding him may cause him discomfort. For now, follow these instructions: Fast your puppy for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.Give him Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)If the pain has resolved, then wean him back onto regular food. If the this persists especially during the fast, take your guy to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns such as an intestinal obstruction or infection causing colitis. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****