Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My 3 year old black lab is panting and crying on the floor.

Customer Question

My 3 year old black lab is panting and crying on the floor. She doesn't want to move but seems to walk fine. She can't seem to get on the bed and had a hard time getting in the car earlier. Any idea what might be wrong or how I can help? This came on very suddenly.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 7 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. I am so sorry to hear about Annabel's condition. Most likely Annabel has suffered an injury to a disc in her back. This is very common in Labs because of their conformation and energy. Since Annabel does not have any digestive issues, this is the most likely cause for this pain. Since this is deep within the vertebrae, she will not show pain when you touch or palpate these areas. This can happen when Annabel jumps up or down on something or just moves the wrong way. The best thing you can do for now as long as Annabel is eating, is to give her aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing this pain and start to stabilize this disc. Do not allow her to jump on or off anything or even climb stairs to allow this disc to stabilize. It is best to have your vet examine Annabel to be sure that this is the case and that this treatment is appropriate. The fact that Annabel does not want to get into the car or on the bed tells us that this is a back issue and the aspirin will help quickly. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Hi Hannah,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Annabel. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta