Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My dog is 2 year old shitzu/ bichon mix. Two weeks ago she

Customer Question

My dog is 2 year old shitzu/ bichon mix. Two weeks ago she had a bout of diarrhea and I took her to the vet. He put her on rice and chicken and gave her medication for the diarrhea. About 2 days ago she started with the symptoms again so I put her back on chicken and rice. It seemed to work foe awhile but now she's diarrheaing again and she's in pain and very restless. Should I take her to emergency vet.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. What does her diarrhea look like?What was the medication that she was given?Where is she painful? Is she straining to pass stool?If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?