Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

My husband noticed our schnauzer threw up and had a few accidents

Customer Question

my husband noticed our schnauzer threw up and had a few accidents this afternoon.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: sorry I wasn't done lol. then when I came home from work she had thrown up some more and it look like there was blood in it I grabbed her cuz I had to go to my mother-in-law's and she seemed OK there for a bit then she lay down for awhile and threw up again it's just like whitefoam we came home and all she's had a some water she threw up again and then now she is trying to hide from me she went outside and like it under the bushes I'm going to take her in the morning but is there anything I can do to make her feel better tonight
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: she seems miserable and is grunting alot
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Isabelle she will be 10 June 16th
JA: How old is Isabelle?
Customer: almost 10
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 months ago.
Hi there,Thanks for your question regarding your Schnauzer girl Isabelle. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 minutes.Thank you for your patience.Kind Regards,Dr E
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
she just pooped on the floor it is all blood....omg
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't know if she can wait til morning
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 months ago.
Hi again,Thank you for your patience. There are a number of things that could be going on here with Isabelle this evening and we need to consider anything from an infectious gastroenteritis, to a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything your girl could have gotten into), to intestinal worms or even a foreign body obstruction. Given she is an older girl now, we also have to consider endocrine and internal organ issues as well. You will definitely need to continue to keep a close eye on your girl, and if this vomiting continues, then you will need to get her seen by your local ER vet tonight - particularly if there seems to be ongoing blood in the vomitus. The blood in the poo is also a big concern, and this could signal anything from a clotting disorder, to hemorrhagic gastroenteritis or even a toxicity.For now, make sure Isabelle has plenty of fresh water available and encourage her to drink. The biggest concern right now is that she could become dehydrated. If she won't drink or can't keep water down, then you are best to get her seen by your local ER vet tonight where they can start her on some intravenous (IV) fluids. You can with hold her food until the morning now, and from then you can start her on a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice. Don't worry about getting her to eat tonight, but definitely encourage her to drink now and over night. If she isn't interested in drinking, then you could try making her up a fresh chicken broth. For this, just boil up some fresh chicken until cooked, scoop off the solids, allow the liquid to cool, then feed her this luke-warm broth.For now, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.For now, you may also want to try her with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: of luck with Isabelle and hopefully these symptoms settle in the next few hours. As above, if she can't keep water down, or if any of the parameters above don't seem right, then definitely play it safe and get her seen tonight. The blood in the vomit and poo are definitely a concern. If this occurs again, or if any of the parameter above aren't right - please get her seen now. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!Kind Regards,Dr EPS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.