Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I was just looking on your site regarding surgery

Customer Question

hi, i was just looking on your site for info regarding surgery for pyometra , which appears to be what our dog may have. she is 10 years old, a lab mix. she has been lethargic for about 6 days and has been more thirsty, and had labored breathing. I noticed just yesterday that her abdomen is swollen and she also began bleeding like she does on her cycle. (her last one was in March. She hasn't eaten hardly anything today and is more lethargic. Just upset, and need to know if at her age it is worth any surgical procedure.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. It could be an infection. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Kacey
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kacey?
Customer: Just that we put a pad in a dog diaper and had her wear it for a few hours today - we noticed the pad was more pinkish in color than red when we took it off, and it appeared to be soaked with clear liquid mixed with some blood. The diaper had gotten really wet also around the pad.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. In regards ***** ***** question about Kacey, I would first note that if she is passing odorous blood/pus, then a pyometra would be likely here. And I would note that when these infections are present, spaying is usually curative. Therefore, this is a worthwhile procedure for a 10 year old dog provided she is otherwise healthy. If that is in doubt, you can have her vet first check a pre-anesthesia blood sample. And I that is all normal, then surgery can be carried out, the infected uterus removed, and you can get her onto the road to recovery so that she can live her normal life span with you. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )