Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

She is throwing up clear liquid and her bowel movements are thick and

Customer Question

She is throwing up clear liquid and her bowel movements are thick and loose
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No it looks like she has a weight loss in the past two weeks
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Brandy she is maybe 9
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Brandy?
Customer: She had a barium done a while back .She can't get comfortable with out having to get sick
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Within a day what am I supposed to do with her in the meantime
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
And I gave my information but I have not been connected with any one
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me: How long has she had these signs? Did they all start 2 weeks go?Can she keep water down? Has she been eating normally?Any blood in her diarrhea?Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Vomiting just a couple days. Diarrhea has been going on for a while. She is keeping the water down as of now she has been sleeping her gums are pink I she likes her belly rubbed there is no blood in stools she eats dirt .so I just put it off to that
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you,Now if she has been having diarrhea for a while, this is likely our source of weight loss. Of course, at Brandy's age, we'd have to keep underlying issues (ie metabolic disease, organ troubles, tumors, IBD, etc) in the back of our mind since these too. Especially if the dirt eating is a new behavior since it can actually be a subtle sign of anemia (low red blood cell volume). And further to all of this, with the vomiting being a new feature, that could just be a secondary infection taking root with her body being compromised. With this all in mind, we need to tread with care. Ideally, we'd want to have Brandy seen by her vet so that bloods can checked and those more serious issues ruled out or diagnosed so we can target treatment and get her settled. Though in the meantime, we can try some supportive care to try and settle this for her. To start, if she has been vomiting, you can try to soothe her stomach with an antacid. Common pet safe OTC ones we can use include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, Zantac (More Info/Dose @, or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find her nausea too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need her vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication. Once that has had time to absorb and she is steadier on her stomach, you can consider starting her on a light/easily digestible diet. Start with a small volume (a spoonful). Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. When you offer that spoonful, give her 30 minutes to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As her stomach stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and also reduce her diarrhea. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet. Further to this, since there was no blood in her stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if the cause were infectious; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI. Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the GI upset we are seeing but with her weight loss and the time frame this has been going on, we do need to tread with care for Brandy. Therefore, in her case, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach and reduce her diarrhea. Though since we have weight loss here, we may also need to consider getting her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, test a stool and blood sample, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can let you know if there is an underlying issue but also dispense treatment (ie injectable anti-nausea medication, antibiotics, etc) to help get her settled so we can get some weight back on her. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
28 dollars it was supposed to be 19 dollars
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello again,As I am a vet (and only receive any compensation when feedback is left), I will pass your question about this to customer service.Take care,Dr. B.