Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Our Chichuahua has started coughing or like trying to clear

Customer Question

Our Chichuahua has started coughing or like trying to clear his throat for about an hour. It is continuous sometimes he will gag like he is trying to spit up. No problem breathing just keeping him from lying down or going to sleep. He ate his dinner and noticed that he was coughing while eating. Should we look for any signs that would indicate we need to take him to emergency vet since he is breathing okay.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 11 months ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Is he lethargic? 2- Did he get into anything? 3- How much does he weigh? 4- Any pre existing medical conditions? 5- How long has this been going on? 6- Is he hacking?