Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have a pit puppy between six and eight weeks and for

Customer Question

I have a pit bull puppy between six and eight weeks and for some reason she has loose stool or diarrhea it wasn't like that at first but I did take her outside she got her first shots yesterday but she still has diarrhea.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: her name is Lulu
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lulu?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am very sorry to hear about Lulu's loose stools.How is she feeling otherwise? If she is bright, alert and playful with a normal appetite then I am less concerned.I understand that she started her vaccine series. Vaccines will not treat or necessarily prevent diarrhea. They stimulate the immune system such that if a dog is exposed to a virus that is part of that vaccine's array then the pup's immune system is better capable of fighting the infection and not getting very, very sick. Some dogs still get mildly ill even with a full complement of vaccines. And puppies that have only had one or two vaccines are in no way protected against the viruses in the vaccine in most cases. They need multiple vaccines and to get old enough for their immune system to be mature enough to mount an effective response.Diarrhea in a younger dog can be from several causes. Common ones are a quick change in diet, too many treats, especially fatty or spicy treats, eatings things they should not such as things found in the yard, toy pieces or garbage, viral, or bacterial, or parasitic infections. 
More serious causes include a dietary allergy or sensitivity, or a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction.At this point we can try some things at home but she may need to see a veterinarian if she isn't coming along well.If she seems to have some nausea along with her loose stools to try and settle her stomach now you can try either:1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one half of a 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight 
every 12 hours.OR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one half of a 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight
 every 24 hours.These will reduce stomach acid and should help if this is related to simple nausea and gastrointestinal irritation from eating something she should not have.I would not feed her any food for 6-8 hours.
This should help stop gut spasms and restore normal gut motility.Starting a couple hours after the acid reducers small amounts of water or ice cubes given frequently are fine as she needs fluids after all that she has lost with loose stools.You can give her pedialyte to replace electrolytes too but Gatorade is much too high in sugar which can make her intestinal irritation worse.Today even with the fast you can start Kao-pectate at 1/2ml per pound or 1/2 tablespoon per 15 pounds of body weight every 8-12 hours. This is quite safe and will coat her irritated gastrointestinal tract as well as absorbing bacterial toxins. You can use it for several days until her stools look normal. You can find kao-pectate at the drug store.If things are going well after her food fast start a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white skinless chicken), all fats and juices drained off the meat, mixed with 2/3 boiled, plain white rice. If you are seeing any blood or mucous in her stools add 1 tablespoon of canned pumpkin to each meal as fiber helps soothe an irritated colon. Your other option is to purchase Hills i/d diet from your veterinarian to feed her if you don't want to cook.You can also add probiotics like Fortiflora or Proviable to her food daily to replace good bacteria. The gut bacteria are often abnormal once they have diarrhea and until the balance is normal again the diarrhea may not clear.Feed several small meals a day. Once she feels better (no loose stools for 48 to 72 hours) start mixing in her regular dog food very slowly. Less bland more regular with each day. It should take a week or so to convert her back.If Lulu's diarrhea is continuing with no improvement, she is vomiting and is feeling poorly though, especially since she isn't finished with her vaccines, it would be best that she see a veterinarian now as anything you give her orally will just come back up worsening her dehydration.If she has a tense painful abdomen, becomes very lethargic, begins vomiting or runs a fever greater than 103.5F then she really must be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible.Most puppies have gastrointestinal parasites so it is well worth checking at least a couple fresh stool samples too as parasite eggs/cysts are shed intermittently, meaning they won't be passed with every stool, and they may be picked up on the second sample or third test if the first is negative.Best of luck with your little one, please let me know should you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara