Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.

She is just laying under the table all day. Her nose is wet

Customer Question

She is just laying under the table all day. Her nose is wet and cool. Gums are pink acts like she has pain just curls up when touched. Normally very active
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Daisey will be 4 in July only inside and fenced backyard
JA: How old is Daisey?
Customer: 4
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Daisey?
Customer: No shots are current
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 5 months ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Daisey has been acting oddly today - I will do my best to help. Unfortunately, lethargy is a very vague sign which means that it's not indicative of any one disease in particular. When I hear of pets who are lethargic like you're describing, there are two different causes I'm looking for: either physical discomfort/illess of some kind (including pain anywhere, itching, or nausea) or behavioral issue. As you can imagine, physical discomfort is pretty much impossible for me to assess without seeing her myself, but most times owners have an idea of what might be bothering their dog by watching their behavior. Some dogs with sore backs will guard their spine (tighten their belly muscles when you try to bend their back), some dogs with joint or limb pain will limp, dogs with severe itching are easy to spot because you're seeing lots of scratching. Nausea or GI discomfort is often followed by vomiting, diarrhea, or a lack of interest in food - they can get all crampy just like we can when they are having a GI upset. I've seen dogs with things like abscessed anal glands, severe allergies, fleas, GI upsets (diarrhea or vomiting), back or limb pain, and even ear infections show only lethargy as their only sign. The possibilities, unfortunately, are many. If we've done a full physical and potentially some lab work if we thought it indicated and we cannot see any sign of physical problems, that's when we will consider a behavioral issue - like being mopey or sad or stressed about something. Equipped with these tips, I think that you may be able to have a better idea of what's bothering her. Red flags that indicate that we need to seek emergency care would be: any sort of abdominal distention, pale or white gums, very high heart rate (>140 beats per minute), or any sort of labored breathing. Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Her gums are tacky but tongue is moist. Coat is dull
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 5 months ago.
Tacky gums indicates some mild dehydration and a dull coat may mean nothing or it could just mean that she isn't getting full nutrition (for instance her diet doesn't give her everything she needs to produce a soft coat or she has some intestinal parasites stealing away nutrients before she can utilize them). A dull coat is more of a long term problem, though - it does not develop in 24 hours of illness. Still, unfortunately, these are vague signs as well. Since you're seeing signs of dehydration, though, I would be more apt to pursue a veterinary exam sooner over later.~Dr. Sara
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Doc Sara