Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

She has stopped barking, and doesn't seem to want to eat. Plus

Customer Question

She has stopped barking, and doesn't seem to want to eat. Plus while we were out she threw up really bad.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No, she hand
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: 'had not eaten in about 4 days, but I see finally ate her food today, I'm assuming it was after she threw up
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Littla momma, she's a silky terrier
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the silky terrier?
Customer: She's 8 years old, will be 9 the end of this month, she's starting to pee anywhere in the house except for her wee wee pad.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 11 months ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Littla momma hasn't been feeling well these past few days. I will do my best to help. When I see dogs that are suddenly vomiting but acting relatively normally otherwise, the first couple of things I consider are infectious diseases (think stomach flu), dietary issues (I ate something that didn't agree with me) or foreign body obstructions (I ate something that's blocking my GI tract). These can range from mild things that they get over on their own, up to surgical emergencies.As long as their breathing is not labored, there is no abdominal distention, and their gums are pink and moist, I usually recommend holding off on giving any food or water for at least 6-8 hours. If they are continuing to vomit though this time, it's time to see the vet. If they stop vomiting, then I start by offering a small portion of water. If they keep that down for more than 2 hours, I offer another small amount of water and a small taste of food (1-2tsp). As long as they continue to tolerate small meals, you can gradually increase the amount of food at each sitting and increase the time in between meals. If they aren't eating at all for >24 hours, this also merits a trip to the vet. In your case with Littla momma, she had not eaten in 4 days, which definitely merits an exam by a veterinarian ASAP. She needs to have some diagnostics done to be sure that her internal organs are all functioning normally and that she doesn't have a more serious problem like a GI obstruction. Urinating more or urinating inside the house is one of the common presenting signs of dogs who have diabetes, so I'd be concerned that this could be the issue. A urinary tract infection can also cause a dog to have a lapse in house training, but not likely to vomit. At Littla momma's age, I'm sorry to say that I don't think we can definitively say that there's safe and reasonable options for home treatment. Based on what you're describing, she should be seen by a veterinarian ASAP. Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)