Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine

I have a six month old bulldog puppy who always throws her

Customer Question

I have a six month old bulldog puppy who always throws her right rear foot forward when standing rather than placing weight evenly on hind and front legs. The foot on this leg now looks smaller than the other rear one although I never noticed this when younger. But when she was about three months she accidentally had her leg stood on really badly. She was immediately taken to vet who at the time prescribed anti inflammatory meds and had me bring her back after few weeks to recheck her for growth plate damage. She did stop limping after few days and on recheck vet said it looked fine and felt no need to X-ray or have her reseen again.
As she is being shown it is quite obvious when I try to get her to "stack" or stand evenly on four legs, as even if I place her legs evenly she always tries to move this right rear foot forward again.
I don't notice a limp or any indication of pain in the leg and has no problem going on our daily half hour walks, however I'm a little worried about how this could affect her in the future?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I've added some pictures I could find showing how she stands with right rear leg forward
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry first pic was double up meant to be this one. Also I in a rather small town in New Zealand so specialist veterinary services are limited. I have started to do some hill work with her to try to build strength on both her rear legs but not sure if this will help?
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 5 months ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.I am so sorry you are going through this with your puppy. Looks like she is a show dog, which means it is very important we figure out why she is walking this way as soon as possible. I must disagree with your vet and say at this point since it is not resolved, a radiographs (X-rays) is indicated to evaluate her hip for hip dysplasia and then entire limb for growth plate or other growth disturbance abnormalities. IF nothing is found, then evaluation of her spine via X-ray is also very smart. Without examining her I could not say if I think this is definitively orthopedic or neurological. At this age our top concerns become a growth disturbance (such as panosteitis, OCD lesion and the list continues) or fracture/damage to a growth plate or dysplasia (hip in particular). We also need to determine if she is doing this because it is pain or if this is actually postural (i.e., normal) for her; the latter would be uncommon. This breed can be tricky to read pain as they are quite stoic.You can always ask your vet for a referral to your closest orthopedic specialist for a consultation as well. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.