Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a german shorthaired pointer he is about 11 years old..

Customer Question

I have a german shorthaired pointer he is about 11 years old.. He has many lumps and bumps on his body and he has been to the vet many times.. They aren't cancerous and they dont hurt him.. He has had a few instances where his hind leg has gone weak or limp.. But then after a while he seems fine.. But today he started yelping whining and crying very loudly when he gets up and just stands or sits.. But he can walk and go potty just fine.. Its saturday.. I'm broke till next week. I had a tramadol and gave him 3/4 of..50 millagrams. He is resting fine until he gets up and act like he is in alot of pain.. I hope this helps but dont have any more tramadol.. I do have a acetaminophen/oxycodone 5 mg but afraid to give that to him.. I also have a nonsterodial antinflamatory pill its blue ..markedG14.
JA: Huh?
Customer: I'm afraid we may have to put him down but cant afford an emerg visit.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the German short-haired pointer?
Customer: I also have acepromazine for storms and stress..will anything i have help him till i can get him to the vet?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about your GSHP. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. How much does he weigh? You can give the acetaminophen/oxycodone for pain, if he is at least 70 pounds. Acetaminophen is not safe for long term use in dogs, but once or twice should be OK. The oxycodone would also be safe at this dose. Sorry you do not have more tramadol, that might have been better. A large dog takes up to 100 mg, 3 times daily. I do not know what your blue pill is, so I don't recommend using it unless you can find out what it is. If it is a nonsteroidal for people, it is probably not safe to give to a dog. Acepromazine does not help with pain. It is a tranquilizer. He sounds painful and getting his pain under control should help him. It sounds like the actetaminophen/oxy is your best bet, twice daily. 1/2 if he is under 60 pounds, 1 pill if he is bigger. Once his pain is controlled, then we would try to find out what is wrong, before considering euthanasia. Is he eating? If so, he is not ready to be put down. Let me know if this helps, and what else I can answer.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
How is your dog doing? Can I help with or answer anything else?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
How is he doing?