Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Dog ate most of bag hip and joint med-50 ct

Customer Question

dog ate most of bag hip and joint med-50 ct
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Scoops ingested most of a 50 count bag of hip and joint medication. I do have some questions for you.What is the name of this medication?Was this a human or animal supplement?Was this a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement?Does he have any long term health issues?Does he tend to have a sensitive stomach?How long ago did this happen?Did he ingest the bag too, or just the pills?How is he behaving now?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
If these are the typical joint supplement made for dogs they likely contain Glucosamine, Chondroitin Sulfate, and may contain Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Manganese, dl-Alpha Tocopherol (Vitamin E), and possibly omega 3 fatty acids.None of these ingredients are highly toxic, and huge amounts must be ingested to see any sort of serious trouble.He did eat quite a few however so you may see some nausea, loss of appetite and maybe some vomiting and loose stools, but that should be the extent of the problem.If he is a big dog and tends to not get an upset stomach easily I would take a watch and see approach.If he shows signs of stomach upset then food fast him for 12-24 hours.To settle his stomach you can give either:1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hoursOR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hoursThese are acid reducers and should help him feel a little less nauseous. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if necessary.Then after his food fast feed a bland diet mix for a couple days consisting of 1/3 boiled, minced, white, skinless chicken or lean, boiled hamburger and 2/3 boiled, plain, white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow.Feed small meals frequently.If he's a very small dog or tends to have a very sensitive stomach in general and this just happened (within the past 2 hours) you can induce vomiting to prevent trouble.You can give him 1 tablespoons of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 pounds of body weight (no more than 3 tablespoons even if he is more than 30 pounds) soaked up with bread chunks or a small amount of food.Then take him outside and run him around to get the peroxide bubbling so he vomits.If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose once.If she vomits and seems to clear his stomach and be done I would check to see if most or all of the chews are present. If you don't have peroxide readily available and/or it's already been more than 2 hours it is likely too late to try and get some and induce vomiting. By the time you do so the chews are likely to be out of his stomach and it is probably too late to induce vomiting.At that point you cannot change things much at home.You can feed him the bland diet as a precaution and use one of the acid reducers if he seems nauseous later.In most cases these pups may have some loose stools, but they tend to do just fine.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****