Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Nekovet: I hate to bother you just one more time.

Customer Question

For Dr.B/nekovet:
I hate to bother you just one more time. Then I will do my best to just work on my book. Hopefully the next time you hear from me will be when you get your book. I am so glad I can send it to you. You actually convinced me about the meds and the Miralax and I finally have actually been able to move on from those. The only other "event" as the radiologist called it that occurred during the previous 24 hours was the dx of the anal sac problem. And on the surface sepsis seems very logical. I know we had touched on sepsis in regard to Dolly. She had not wanted to eat the day before. I found the anal sac problem and I took her to the vet - they did not seem to be concerned, said it was not bad. She took her temp and I think said it was 102.5, but she said she had a fever? Maybe they use 101 as a baseline. Do you know of a dog ever dying from an anal sac infection? Could she have had it for a long time without my knowing because she was not showing symptoms and it developed sepsis? Would her endocrine problems have compromised her immune system? I know sepsis is a cause of ARDS but I did not think anal sac infections were a cause of sepsis. The rad report did not mention sepsis. Would it have had a different pattern? Could we have missed it in that visit eight hours prior to her death or could it have developed in a matter of just a few hours before death? I remember you said that she would have been "properly poor", which I think means really ill by the time she went to the vet. She ate dinner but I guess couldn't resist chicken and rice. I just need to clear sepsis from my DDX if it is not a plausible cause because that is the only common ARDS cause left. And you always answer me honestly. Thanks and then it is back to the book.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
Good morning,You are never a bother. I do need to just touch base with some urgent cases at the moment but will reply properly shortly. :)Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
Hi again, In regards ***** ***** question, septic dogs are very sick dogs. As well, there are no case reports published (or any cases I have seen) where anal glands have been to blame for sepsis. So, not only is it something we don’t see, I have no doubt that we’d have known if sepsis were an issue because she’d have been collapsed and poorly not just a bit off color. As well, we’d have expected a fever through the roof (where>103 is a fever) if there was any sepsis lurking. So, even with her other issues this wouldn’t have been likely at all and wouldn’t have looked like what we saw.So, I truly don’t feel sepsis was missed and I don’t feel her anal glands had any bearing on what came to pass.Take care & happy writings,Dr. B.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks. I knew you would give me good information. It sounds like even at the vet she would have been really ill and would certainly not eaten 5 hours before dying. I don't know if you have two legged children, but I know you have a four legged one. So hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day!!
I have the narrative completed in my book and now am starting on the illustrations.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
You are very welcome,I suspect she would have been and I have no doubts her vet would have hospitalized her there and then if that had been present.Thank you and happy Gabby's mum's day to you. :)Best wishes,Dr. B.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
So if she wasn't sick at the vet she didn't die of sepsis.
Thank you again. I'm off to have Mother's Day lunch with my son. Hugs to Henley. When I send your book I can send the original of Henley.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
I agree, with how well she was it wasn't sepsis. And that would be lovely if you did send that as well. :)Have a great lunch,Dr. B.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK. So if sepsis can't develop in 2 or 3 hours like CHF and lung cancer can, Dolly's dx has to be the lung cancer?I will send the Henley original. I think you will like it much better than a copy printed from Photobucket.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
I do continue to really feel that a cancer in the lung (be it primary lung cancer or spread from other tissues) was out top suspect for Dolly's signs and her xray.Please take care & I look forward to your book and artwork of my wee lad. :)Dr. B.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will send you a note when I mail it and let you know where JA instructed me to mail it, so you will know it is on the way.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
That would be grand. :)Thank you for thinking of me and sharing your book about Dolly with me,Dr. B.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
So it could have been a primary or metasticized lung cancer? I guess I thought you were thinking only metasticized from the pattern. Wow, you help a LOT of people. Your number just keeps growing.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
I admit that I am a busy bee and do always try to aid anyone who needs help. :)Anyway, yes, both are possible. It looks like a metastatic spread to me with its positioning but cancer is a known rule breaker in dogs and in people; so I would say both were possible (unless we had an autopsy where we could get a sample to analyse and work out which cancer type it was if you know what I mean).Take care,Dr. B.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Keep up the good work.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
I will certainly try. :)Have a great day,Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
Hi Carolyn,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet