Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

Took dog to vet who said he could remove the cysts on his back

Customer Question

Took dog to vet who said he could remove the cysts on his back but they would return. They are about the size of a nickel and large. They have gone down then come back up. Is it okay to lance them? One looks a little angryish.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dog. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. Lancing a cyst will release the fluid inside, but won't remove the cyst. After it is lanced and it drains, it seals over and fills back up again in most cases. Also, I would not do this in a dog without sedation and/or local anesthesia. Have these cysts been identified by FNA (fine needle aspiration)? This is done by putting a small sharp hollow needle into the cyst or lump, to get fluid or cells from inside it. Then we look at this under a microscope, to tell exactly what the cyst/lump is and then we know if leaving it alone, or treating it, or removing it is best. You can put topical anti inflammatory ointment on the the angry looking ones, like Cortaid or Cortizone 10. You can also put topical antibiotic ointment like Neosporin on them. Let me know if this is helpful and what else I can answer.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.
I hope you were able to see what I wrote! How is your dog doing?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.
How is he doing? Did you have the cysts treated?