jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

I have a female labrador that I havery breed before. The last

Customer Question

I have a female labrador that I havery breed before. The last tgree heat cycles she let's the male mount her but once contact is made she lunges foward. This is day 9 of her cycle.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a female labrador that I have already...
I have a female labrador that I have already breed before. The last three heat cycles she let's the male mount her but once contact is made she lunges foward. This is day 9 of her cycle.
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 1 year ago.
Hi JaCustomer, My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. I've been breeding for over 20 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. Sorry your question wasn't addressed earlier. It just was switched to a category I can answer in. It will take me about 20 minutes to type up my response. I hope you can be patient a little bit longer.
A few key things is that the female needs to be in the right stage of heat and also needs to be brought into the males territory for mating and not the other way around. If you bring the male into the females territory, she usually insists on being the dominant dog and won't let another dog complete the mating. Often just bringing the female to the males territory is enough to correct the situation. To breed successfully you need to understand the heat cycle. I have explained it below and included a site that has a pictorial guide so there is no mistake what stage of heat your girl is in. Female Dogs go into heat at any time between 6-12 months usually. The average heat cycle for a dog is approximately 3 weeks but for some dogs it is longer and for others it is shorter. Some as short as 10 days and some as long as 4 weeks or more. Usually your dog will go into heat every 6-7 months though again each dog is different and can go back into heat as early as 4 months or not for 12 months. Most however are average. During the first part of a dogs heat period you will notice swelling of the vulva, possibly an increase in urination and bleeding. If there are male dogs around you will notice them hanging around her. This stage generally last about 7 days and she will not allow males to mate with her during this period The second part of the heat cycle is when she will accept a male and breed. Usually a female will lift her tail out of the way. Usually bleeding has stopped or become straw colored at this point. This can last from 4 to 21 days though the average is 7 days. Many expert say the 9-10th day of heat is the optimum day for breeding. It is during this period of time that you will want to allow mating. Most breeders allow the dogs to mate every other day during this period. Then during the last stage of heat she will be less willing to breed as she is going out of heat. This stage can again last from 4 to 21 days as well but averages 7 days. Each dog is different so some evaluation by the owner is necessary. The whole heat period should be approximately 21 days but as stated can be longer or shorter depending on the dog. Here is an excellent website with pictures to illustrate a female in different stages of heat.http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/breedingheat.htm Often keeping the female on a leash will allow you to prevent her from lashing back at the male. A basket style muzzle can also be useful. It prevents her from biting the male and the male will quickly figure this out and be a bit more dominant during the mating process. I'd personally do bot Pitbull breeders sometimes use breeding stands which you can see here. You might want to consider this for a future breeding if my suggestions don't help for this heat cycle.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f73Lp5XmNs4 http://rayfox6.tripod.com/id44.html I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.