How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 23838
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog just ate plants dustymiller silver dust and begonia

Customer Question

my dog just ate plants dustymiller silver dust and begonia bronze white leaf..what do i do
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
Begonia can cause oral irritation, intense burning and irritation of mouth, tongue and lips, excessive drooling, vomiting, and difficulty swallowing but it's the tubers that are the most toxic. Insoluble calcium oxalate crystals are responsible. Washing out your dog's mouth with copious amounts of water is indicated. Senecio species such as the silver dust are more dangerous. They contain pyrrolizidine alkaloids. Clinical Signs: The plant is not very palatable to dogs and is usually eaten by ruminants with no other forage; poisonings typically occur from ingestion of green plant material or material in hay. The toxic components can cause liver failure, referred to as "walking disease" or "sleepy staggers". Signs include weight loss, weakness, sleepiness, yawning, incoordination, yellowish discoloration to mucous membranes (icterus), neurologic problems secondary to liver failure (aimless walking, chewing motions, head pressing). Animals may appear to be normal at first, then become suddenly affected; the syndrome progresses rapidly over a few days to a week. Liver damage, depression, anorexia, vomiting, diarrhea, muddy mucous membranes, weakness, ataxia can also be seen.It would be prudent to induce emesis by dosing your dog with 3% hydrogen peroxide at a dose of 5 mL (one measuring teaspoon) per 5 lbs of body weight (maximum dose of 45 mL - 3 measuring tablespoons) by means of a small poultry baster placed between its cheek teeth and cheek. Your dog should vomit within 15 minutes. If not, repeat the same dose.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Will they die
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
The begonia isn't expected to be life-threatening...just irritating to his mucous membranes of a dog's mouth. I can't imagine that a dog would find silver dust palatable enough to ingest very much of it and so severe toxicity isn't expected. I still think inducing emesis would be prudent. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin

Related Dog Veterinary Questions