How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Stacy Your Own Question
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 1545
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Stacy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our 3month old collie has been admitted to hospital with

Customer Question

Hi our 3month old collie has been admitted to hospital with suspected lepto today he is on Iv fluid and antibiotics he has lost a lot of weight and his liver is only working at 20% and his kidneys are effected as well he only started to be sick yesterday and was still running around this morning wagging his tail what are his chances for survival? I'm beside myself with worry
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the collie?
Customer: He has had lepto 4 vaccine I just want to be prepared for an out come at the moment I'm thinking the worst
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.The prognosis for leptospirosis is fair... meaning that if it is caught early and treated aggressively then the chance of recovery is 50/50. This is definitely worth treating. My concern would be if it is something other than lepto. Because he has had the vaccine, when they run the lepto test it will come back positive. They won't be able to tell if it is the vaccine or the infection causing the positive test. They would have to repeat the test in 2-4 weeks to see if the results are getting higher to know if it is a true infection.There are really very few things that effect both the liver and the kidneys so I think your veterinarian is on the right tract treating for lepto and I think he might recovery. The real concern is that if this is something else the prognosis would be much worse. There are not many things this could be, some other infections or toxins, but they would be rare.If you happen to have the bloodwork numbers I might be able to give you a bit more information. If you have additional questions, please let me know.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank u for your quick response I'm praying he is strong enough to fight this I haven't got the blood work results we have just been told to wait 48hrs and hope he responds to treatment I just wanted a second opinion and an idea of the outcome! It also doesn't help I have just been released from hospital myself with ovarian abscess's and a raging infection so I have very little immune system and I'm aware lepto can be passed on to me but as long as he has a fair chance I will just keep my fingers crossed
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 5 months ago.
You should see a response in the first 48 hours and if he is responding then the prognosis becomes much betterBest wishes!

Related Dog Veterinary Questions