Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I have a cairn terrier who is 15 years old. He has had type

Customer Question

I have a cairn terrier who is 15 years old. He has had type 1 diabetes for about 6 years which is managed well. He was diagnosed last week with lymphoma. We will meet with an oncologist late next week but I am reading a lot online and am concerned his diabetes will affect his treatment for lymphoma if we proceed with treatments. Will this be an issue?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help with the diabetes. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cairn terrier?
Customer: He is sensitive to most medications. If put on antibiotics he usually stops eating
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
I understand your concerns. While I'm not aware of any studies in dogs, large scale studies in humans has shown that in oncology practices diabetes was common, glycemic control often was suboptimal, and survival varied by cancer type. There's every reason to believe that the chemotherapy prescribed for his lymphoma will result in inappetence which is going to complicate his glycemic control. His oncologist is likely to understand this and dose the chemo drugs appropriately - in the lowest effective range possible. Prednisone - which is included in most all chemotherapeutic protocols for lymphoma - is likely to be avoided due to his diabetes. This will expose him to more side effects and a more protracted recovery. I foresee a difficult time for all if you proceed with chemotherapy. I want you to have a heart to heart talk with his oncologist so you're fully apprised about what to expect. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Fine-we have appt with oncologist to get info but will likely not do chemo but find out best way to keep him comfortable for as long as possible
That sounds nicely pragmatic. Thank you for taking the time to let me know. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.