Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Dr. Bruce, can you give a 2 week old puppy metronidazole. I

Customer Question

Dr. Bruce,
can you give a 2 week old puppy metronidazole. I know if you can you would have to crush it up with water. The puppies have a bad stomach virus they got from their mother. Can you give the mother metronidazole while she is nursing the pups.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about your puppy. It appears that Dr. Bruce is not available now; can I be of help? My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. It is not considered safe to give metronidazole to puppies this young or to a nursing mother. Metronidazole does not treat viral infections in any case. And it would be nearly impossible to dose correctly with anything but liquid metronidazole in small puppies. What is wrong with them? Are they nursing? Vomiting or diarrhea? Let me know if I can be of help or if you would prefer to wait for Dr. Bruce.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They have diarrhea and thy are crying, not continously. Their mother had it and they got it from her. We have been giving them pepto bismal.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
You have to be very careful with Pepto Bismal, it's main ingredient is similar to aspirin. How much are you giving and how much do they weigh? Are they nursing still? If these were my puppies, I would look at their diarrhea under a microscope to check for parasites. If parasites were seen, I would treat for that specific parasite. If no parasites are seen, I would treat with Albon. You would have to get this prescription medication from a veterinarian, and weigh each puppy, and dose very carefully.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No vets till Monday. They close on Friday and open on Monday. Don't trust the ER
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I really can't recommend you give the metronidazole or give it to the mother. The big problem with diarrhea is that it can dehydrate young puppies. If you can bottle feed them and supplement them with water or Pedialyte that might help. You can try giving probiotics (beneficial bacteria supplements such as Fortiflora or Proviable) that may also help.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Can I help with anything else? How are the puppies?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?