Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

I have a 5 year old min pin who has 4 herniated disc and was

Customer Question

I have a 5 year old min pin who has 4 herniated disc and was told surgery is what's needed which is out for us financially so we are trying anti inflammatory pills called dexamethasone just an outside opinion how much pain does this cause the animal
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dexamethasone?
Customer: That and the pain she could possibly be in although she is not showing pain right now every once in awhile she will lose her balance slightly
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 months ago.
Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. I certainly understand your situation...this is a very expensive surgery that may or may not be required. If the disc is only unstable but not totally herniated into the spinal cord, the medication can help relieve this inflammation that is causing your gal this discomfort. If your gal has function lost in certain areas, this is not a good sign and this means that there could be permanent damage to your gals spinal cord which could render her paralyzed. Use the DExamethasone and DO NOT allow your gal to jump on anything or climb stairs or run....keep her as immobile as possible. If this situation worsens, the surgery is required but if it gets better, the discs may not be totally herniated. Ask your vet ro Neurologist about this. This condition is common in the min pins and can stabilize in certain cases. I am not saying that your gal is this case because I have not seen her or the diagnostics but this is something to ask your vet. This can be an extremely painful condition so if this starts happening to your gal, this may require surgery. Does that make sense to you?Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yes thank you
You are very welcome! I hope your gal will be ok....