Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

Just found golf ball sized lump in side of our dog's neck.

Customer Question

Just found golf ball sized lump in side of our dog's neck. Must have grown suddenly. Feels like it may be fluid filled.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Minnie, rescue shepherd mix approx 7 years and 50 lbs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Minnie?
Customer: Seems fine and not in pain. No health issues. Was licking her lips a lot in past couple of weeks but I didn't see any sign of anything in her mouth.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 months ago.
Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. These lumps can be an enlarged Lymph nose that has abscessed due to an infection or a lesion caused by some form of trauma. If this is an abscess that would mean that this mass is filled with pus, apply hot compresses to this area every 4 -6 hrs to help draw the infection to the outside. If pus starts to drain, squeeze this out and then flush it with peroxide. IF, by Monday, nothing has happened, then have your vet examine this and tap it with a needle. I say this because there is also a possibility of Lymphoma which may not be good for your sweet Minnie. Does that make sense to you?Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We will try the compresses, thank you!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also vet can't see her until Wed. Should we try to find another vet sooner?
Good for long as Minnie is acting normal and eating , there is no need to rush her in...wait until your WEd appointment unless she starts feeling bad.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, thank you. She is acting totally fine, so fingers crossed that it's nothing serious.
yes, I most cases, this will be a simple fix and Minnie will be fine.