Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

My dog has a littleblood in poop

Customer Question

my dog has a littleblood in poop
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 months ago.
Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. It appears that Sammy has a mild digestive disturbance possibly due to something odd that he may have ingested. The blood you see is not harmful and is caused by the loose stool irritating the very sensitive rectal mucosa causing small blood vessels to break and bleed. This will resolve once the digestive issue is resolved. For now, follow these instructions: Fast Sammy for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.Give Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.Give him only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)If the disturbance has resolved, then wean Sammy back onto regular food. If the this persists especially during the fast, take your sweet Sammy to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns such as an infection or metabolic issue. Does that make sense to you?Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****