Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My corgi 10 yr old had a tumor under her just

Customer Question

my corgi 10 yr old had a tumor under her just burst open...we can't afford surgery what to do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Foxy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Foxy?
Customer: no, she is overweight otherwise healthy..we have had her on a special diet for 8 weeks ande she has lost a few pounds
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
Can you upload a photo(s) of this burst tumor to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as I can be more acccurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.In general, if a tumor ruptures conservative care usually fails. Thoroughly lavaging the open tumor with over the counter chlorhexidine (Hebiclens in your local pharmacy) can help prevent bacterial infection (if the tumor isn't already infected and burst because it abscessed). Topical antibiotic creams aren't helpful and should be avoided.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I sent the photo but did not hear from you
I'm sorry but no photo has been uploaded to our conversation and***@******.*** hasn't forwarded a photo to me. Please contact support for help.
I just received the photo. Thank you. I see the ulcerated area but I can't determine its relationship to Foxy's abdominal skin. Is the brown object the tumor that has been hanging from her abdomen? In any event, there is no manner in which to stop such a tumor's growth without surgically removing it. You're necessarily constrained to lavaging it regularly as I posted above.