Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

My 13 year old scottie's ear has flopped down over night.

Customer Question

My 13 year old scottie's ear has flopped down over night. Could something be wrong?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can. Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 7 months ago.
I bet your dog looks silly right now!Does the ear seem to bother your dog at all?Any shaking of the head, pawing at the ear, or abnormal smell from the ear?Does the ear seem to be swollen at all?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Nope.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Nothing.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 7 months ago.
I see. If there appears to be nothing wrong with the ear I would just monitor it for now. Sometimes the cartilage can weaken in the ear as they get a little bit owner and it can flop down a little bit. We can often see this happen if there is some disease brewing in the ear. If you begin to see itchy ears, bad smelling ears, or discomfort, I recommend a vet visit. However I would just keep an eye on him for now as it seems like there is likely no major concern at this time.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Wait. It is swollen.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 7 months ago.
I see. If it is swollen, there is most likely an ear hematoma (aural hematoma). These are where the ear tip fills with blood. This is typically secondary to trauma: shaking due to ear infection. This is typically a surgical fix. I recommend having a visit with your vet today or monday if possible to have the ear checked out. Often they will want to drain the ear and treat any underlying infection. Typically surgery will be needed to prevent it from filling up again.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 7 months ago.
Is there anything else I can help you with today or any further information I can give you?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That's what it is.
We're at the vet now. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 7 months ago.
You are very welcome. I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. I wish you both the best. Have a wonderful day!