Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

What a re signs and symptoms of cataracts in dogs and why

Customer Question

What a re signs and symptoms of cataracts in dogs and why would our Spaniel have red eye where it should be white?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can. Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 months ago.
Cataracts affect the lenses of the eyes. This is the clear part of the eye surrounded by the iris (pigmented part inside the eye). The white part of the eye is the sclera. If the white portion of the eye is red, it is likely the sclera or the conjunctiva (pink part of the eye) are inflamed. This can be due to many different reasons: conjunctivitis due to allergies or bacterial infection, physical irritation, dry eye, corneal ulcers (scratches), etc.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 months ago.
Cataracts will cause the lens to become gray or white and are typically age related, or due to another disease such as diabetes. This will not cause the white part of the eye to get red or pink and are not harmful to the dog.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 months ago.
Your veterinarian can easily distinguish between any conjunctivitis or corneal ulcers or any other potential disease. Dry eye can be easily tested for by your veterinarian as well. What questions do you have about this? What further information can I help you with.