Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog is hacking(dry) days and now he screams when

Customer Question

My dog is hacking(dry) for many days and now he screams when he moves,or try to bark. Pls help.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this question. Please stay in this conversation if you wish. There appears to be two different body systems involved in Blacky's behavior. Hacking is a respiratory symptom and screaming when he moves or tries to bark suggests painful muscle spasms as might occur with a myelopathy (spinal cord disorder) such as degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk"). The cause of these symptoms needs to be clarified with a hands-on physical examination. I would expect X-rays of both Blacky's heart and lungs and spine to be recommended as well. There are infections that can affect both respiratory and skeletal (joint) areas such as a systemic fungus or tick-borne disease which might be present where you live. Blacky's vet would know which of those diseases need to be considered and specifically test for them. I regret that I can't be more specific for you from here. I, too, would need to examine and test Blackie.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.