Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

Pearl, my dog has not felt well, he has diarhea, and today

Customer Question

hi pearl, my dog has not felt well, he has diarhea, and today I noticed his stomach is quite tight and hard
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: we have a wild cherry tree in our backyard, I am worried he has eaten some of them
JA: The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: Bo, he is 2 1/2
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 months ago.
Hi there,Thanks for your question regarding your boy Bo. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.Thank you for your patience.Kind Regards,Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 months ago.
Hi again,Thank you for your patience. Bo's diarrhea and firm abdomen are definitely a concern here and there are a few things that could be causing these symptoms in your boy. We need to consider a range of possible issues here including anything from an oncoming infectious gastroenteritis, to intestinal parasites, to a toxicity, to an internal organ problem, or even an ingestion of a heap of the wild cherries from your backyard. The cherries themselves aren't toxic per se, but they could cause gastrointestinal symptoms like you are seeing - so this is a definitive possibility. You are definitely going to need to continue to keep a close eye on Bo. For now, you can with hold his food until the morning, but make sure he has plenty of fresh water available and do encourage him to drink. If he won't drink, or starts vomiting, then you will need to get him seen tonight as he could quickly become dehydrated. From tomorrow morning, you can start him on a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice. Also make sure Bo is up to date with his deworming tablets over the next few days. For now, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet. For now, you may also want to try him with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: of luck with Bo hopefully these symptoms settle soon. If he is quite lethargic now, or seems bloated, then you are best off getting him seen straight away. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!Kind Regards,Dr EPS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.