Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My "Morkie" is 17 weeks old and already weights almost 10

Customer Question

My "Morkie" is 17 weeks old and already weights almost 10 pounds. He is eating 2 times a day--1/2 can of Blue Buffalo Chicken and vegetable wet food. I can feel his ribs through his skin..but I am concerned about his size (or the person I got him from wasn't honest about his true breed. Should I lessen his food at this point??
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 5 months ago.
Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How old was Laslo when you acquired him? How big did the people who you got him from say he would get? Were you able to see his parents?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi. Lazlo was weeks when we got him. The people we got him from said that the father was 8 lbs and the mother was 6 lbs. We did not get to see them
Okay thanks for the additional information. If Lazlo is already 10 lbs but you can feel his ribs, it may be safe to say that the person who you got him from was probably not too honest about the breed. At 17 weeks I would definitely not decrease his food. You may even need to increase his food since he seems skinny now. Usually you don't worry about a dog being overweight until they are at least an adult. He may get up to 15-20 pounds based on his current weight.