PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My 2 year old German Sheppard Male (not neutered) has only

Customer Question

My 2 year old German Sheppard Male (not neutered) has only been eating about 2 to 3 cups of kibble a day. His decreased apatite started about 8 weeks ago after our 9 year old female GSD past away suddenly. We suspect she had a stroke.
Prior to losing his good friend he was eating twice that much. We took him to the Vet and they did extensive blood work and tested for worms. They found nothing. They sold us special dog food which he will sometimes eat. We have tried different foods and adding fresh cooked hamburger and chicken but he still shows very limited interest at mealtime. He has lots of energy for the park and chasing balls but other times is rather listless. He weighed 95 pounds at 29 months and is down to 90 pound. What do you suggest?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Tino
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Toni?
Customer: He was very attached to our other dog.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion1) Has he had any points where he's more "back to normal" than other times? 2) Have any playdates been scheduled with other dogs, if he's good with other dogs, to get him back into a routine with a friend?3) Is he on any medication?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
1. Yes about one in every 4 or 5 meals he eats his "old normal" amount of food.
2. We are planning that this week! He is not dog aggressive.
3. He is up to date on his shots and is not on any meds.
It sounds like you guys are making the right strides toward giving him a new routine and things to look forward to. I think you'll find these doggy play dates will be something that will give him a boost to his mood.If things continue this way, I would talk to your vet about using a small dose of behavioral medications to helps stabilize his mood. Basically, just as we would with humans, use medication to aid with recovery from 'depression'. Getting him into new routines and making new fun things for him to do will help him to move forward. In your home, you can definitely look at changing the old routines into new ones. Feed an hour later. Switch bowls. Move his kennel. Switch out toys. Buy a new bed. Rearrange the furniture, etc. Change his life so that he doesn't keep that same pace that he did before with a dog that's now missing from his life. If the behavioral meds are needed, once you begin seeing improvements in his mood you'll slowly begin to wean him off of them with time. Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, I will not be compensated for helping you today.