Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I'm not sure if my 5 lb poodle swollen my dapakote JA:

Customer Question

I'm not sure if my 5 lb poodle swollen my dapakote
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the poodle's name and age?
Customer: Jesse 9yrs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jesse?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 7 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!This medication is used in pets but with Jesse's size there is a concern this could be an overdose. Can you please tell me what the mg of the medication is and how long ago it was ingested?The common dose is 60 mg/kg every 8 hours so for your dog at 5 pounds (2.3 kg) this would be 136 mg every 8 hours. Side effects can include gastrointestinal effects consisting of nausea, vomiting, anorexia, and diarrhea. Toxic effects include CNS depression, asterixis (tremor), motor restlessness, hallucinations, and deathIf your dog ingested more than 150 mg within the last hour it would be ideal to induce vomiting. You can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.I hope this information makes sense. If there is no vomiting and she begins to show any symptoms then please consider a veterinary er to treat her symptoms and prevent progression of signs. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, I hope Jesse is doing well and no ill effects of the ingestion Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!
Good afternoon, I wanted to check in on your Poodle to see if there were any ill effects of the possible ingestion yesterday? I would love an update when you area able!